Saturday, December 20, 2008

The prequal

Let me see if I can't provide some sort of introduction.

I am a 24 year old Celestial Navigation teacher at a beautiful non-profit semester abroad program called The Island School. This has been my identity for the past year and a half. Before that? I was a traveler, a farmer, a Mainer, a student of mathematics, a daughter, a friend, a sister, and more. I feel very fortunate to have lived a full and rich life thus far- life has been good to me and afforded me the opportunity to learn and grow in so many different spheres. If I were to pick just one identity- it would be a lover of life, an adventurer, a seeker of truth, and a believer of love and compassion. Too lofty? Perhaps but that leads easily to this chapter. I am about to embark on another adventure. This one- begins with a one-way ticket to Paraguay that many of my students have heard so much about. I was able to share my excitement for this opportunity in many different ways and with a multitude of different people. This blog is an attempt to share my adventure with all who would listen. I will try my best to provide an entertaining and informative account of the next 6 weeks.

But first- a plane ride to Paraguay where I will spend Christmas with my dear friend Kelly Sue and her Paraguayan family. Kelly Sue will be a central character in this saga. My old farm mate, a soul sister, and traveling companion has spent the last 2 years in a little village in Paraguay. She claims that her family is very excited to meet me because since I teach math I "must be about the smartest person in the world." Who knows how I will live up to that since I will not be able to communicate with them- they speak the native tribal language, Guarani. This will be my most significant challenge ahead. I am a communicator and I will not be able to speak with people. My Spanish is novice, Portagese non existent, and Guarni-- well we will have to find other means to communicate. There is so much learning to be done!

Thanks for tuning in. Hopefully, I will be reporting soon, until then take care and as always Keep on Keepin' on,

Hannah Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment