Saturday, December 27, 2008

ndaiquai

It means "I don't know" in Guarani. If I were to give an expression or theme to my last 3 days in Paraguay that would be it. I don't freaking know. It is cool though- "jaryi" Kelly Sue does know. Her langauge, understanding, and community was amazing. It was incredible how much the people loved Kelly Sue. We would be sitting there and they would just stare at her and say her name- and what beautful people too!



So after 36 hours of travel I finally made it to Paraguay. I got holed up in Sau Paulo and ended up in a little cafe trying to make friends with everyone in many different languages that I didn't know. My favorite was my Swiss trucker friend, Arensto. We couldn't find a way to say anything, so we would just begin little conversations and end up making funny faces. I am the queen of funny faces...



We went straight to Kelly's village warmly greeted by her family, her Grandmother, and Grandfather. Her grandmother had this very unique beauty to her and her eyes lit up- literally lit up when she saw Miss Sue. (I will have a picture of them up here soon) It was Christmas eve so there was lots of preparations to do. Mainly soapa- a corn bread with pig fat and onion had to be made en masse. It was funny- we did not eat for a long time and then all of a sudden there was soapa everywhere. I ate and then my stomach began to expand with the dense corn substance.


So on Christmas eve we went over to Kelly's family where we were going to eat eventually and wait for midnight. They talked and I tried really hard to pay attention because everytime my mind wandered they would tell Kelly that I was not having fun. It was tiring to pay attention to conversations that I had no comprehension of... they talked about me a lot too. How I was skinny, looked like Kelly, confused, suprised, etc...That was really all- it was a slow night and the hours dragged until midnight. When it came, we set off fireworks and kissed one another on the cheek, and said feliz dadas. It was pretty cool.

That was the hardest part- waiting around and trying to pay attention. Otherwise, I hung out at Kelly's, drank terria (mmm cold yerba matte that you just keep filling and passing. I love it) played with children (I love the children they are so much fun, easy to get along, forgiving, entertaining, curious, non judgemental...) relaxed in the hot pargauyan village and enjoyed having some time to do nothing. I also asked Kelly endless questions about Paraguay, Spanish, Guarani, and other of lifes wonderings. I might drive her nuts but she is very tolerant and a good teacher.


Now we are in Asuncion, off to go say good bye to her host family during training. We are going to take a night bus to the foz del iguasu and get there in the morning. I am very excited- it is one of the 7 wonders of the world. Then to Florinopolis- to relax and play on the beach. That's all I got- hope everyone is having a happy holidays and enjoying life.

Until then- keep on keepin' on.

Hannah Rae

2 comments:

  1. Sweetie, you are amazing!I love you and miss you! Feliz Dadas
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Hannah Rae and Kelly Sue!
    I am so jealous and I cant wait to hear more.
    Be safe, but not too safe.
    randee mae

    ReplyDelete