Monday, January 12, 2009

Back on track

Hey Hey Hey

Man oh man I had no idea how difficult it would be to keep up with a blog amongst all the chaos that is my new life here in South America. I think about record that I will create often but unfortunately rarely set down to do it. I don't believe I have even taken that many photographs....

So I will begin with a stunning realization I had the other day. Well, it was big for me anyways. Let me explain, as I was preparing for this trip my imagination ran wild! I had no idea what was in store for me and I became quite nervous about what the future held. I pictured myself in small little villages with no home and no one to turn to. I imagined the water poisoning my system and laying in a dirty bathroom floor, weak with no one to turn to. This, for better or for worse has not been the case. Kelly Sue and I have been quite fortunate to have an easy time at the logistics of life in South America. I thought to myself... well this trip is not so hard after all.

Not quite so simple. The struggles I have encountered are far less tangible. They relate to being a foreigner, lost in the language, incapable of the intuitive understanding that one has when one is at home. The strangeness of the environment coupled with my complete inability to communicate with other people has proven to be quite difficult for me. The realization I spoke of was that this has indeed been a very difficult trip, but on a different level than I had previously imagined. Where I would ordinarily talk to people, ask questions, and learn from those around me, I remain silent. Silent as a mouse because I am embarrassed to speak in my poor Spanish and even more embarrassed to come out with English in another’s country. I become frustrated easily when I cannot understand and am not able to create a more positive experience-- through interaction and you said it... attitude. I am very happy to come to understanding about this challenge because it helps me find patience for this process and appreciation for the unique situation that I am in. Some might even call it- perspective.

OK so now that I have gotten that off my chest- you ask "well, what the heck have you been doing Hannah?" Let me see if I can give an update on our travels as well. Last I left off we were enroute to Uruguay and the beach- to the super tranquillo little town of Punta Del Diablo. HA! Tranquillo it was not- because as it turns out the first two weeks of January is the prime time for a vacation, a great time to get away from crowded cities to well.. crowded beaches. Kelly Sue and I found ourselves in the midst of the busiest, craziest, most happening time of this little towns yearly existence. With that- comes a shortage of housing, jacked prices, and muchas hentes. However, as it turns out the universe was conspiring with us because as soon as we got off the bus Kelly and I ran into some of the peace core folks from BA. They had found themselves a nice little (slightly cramped) space off the beach a bit. There was much rejoicing, dancing, sunning, playing, and fun. All in all it was much crazier than expected but a great little chapter for our trip.

After that, we were back on track, headed (for the first time) in the correct direction for our departure. Off to Mendoza Argentina right next to the mountains, a booming wine region, and a cute little town. It reminds me a bit of Colorado with it's cultural love of the outdoors. After a long bus ride (18 hours to be exact) Kelly and I were exploring the town when what did we see? A sign for a full moon rafting and party in the mountains excursion. I did a quick double take and went in to sign up. Oh man! What a good decision that was! That very night under the light of the full moon glistening over the looming mountains Kelly and I maneuvered down dark and exciting rapids. The only problem was that the guy kept giving orders in Spanish?? I quickly learned to stop listening and just do what the others did and we came out safe. Phew... afterwards, a big bonfire and dancing until the wee hours of the morning.

Now I write from Mendoza. Kelly and I have had many fun excursions throughout the city and neighboring parks. Tomorrow we rent bikes and go around tasting wine. Sounds perfecto to me. Today is Kelly's birthday so the hostel will be having a little celebration. That is all I got for now. The farm is still up in the air and who knows what the future holds for our fearless travelers. Only time will tell.

Hope the sky's are clear above, take care and as always keep on keepin on.

Hannah Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment