Friday, January 9, 2009

To the beach! (06/01/09... late)

Hello All

I can’t believe that tomorrow will mark the two week of my trip. It does not feel that long at all, except when I look back at all the events in between and it is incredible that we have fit it all into two weeks.

I am currently writing from the Montevideo bus terminal in Uruguay. Kelly and I are on our way to the famed beaches of Punta Del Diablo. For a while there we were not so certain that we were going to get to the super mellow tranquillo little surf town but it appears that luck is in our favor and some friends of Kelly’s have a house there for the week. A lucky happening no doubt since the buzz amongst fellow travelers is that this is not the time to be visiting in Uruguay. Apparently many people in Argentina, Brazil, and Paraguay get this time off for vacation and the perfect spot for a retreat is the beautiful beaches of Uruguay!

As a result of this news Kelly and I ended up spending some time in the places in between. We spent a few nights in Colonia Del Sacramento, a cute little historic town just across the river from Buanas Aires. After the fast paced style of BA, Kelly and I were happy to sit in the square, watch people go by, and drink Matte for a bit. Plus we met some very interesting people! My favorite was a man named Nito, who decided immediately that I may just be the love of his life…. He was harmless, but he did present me with a beautiful amethyst, a few songs on his homemade tuba, and a poem of amore… He was quite a funny little man and when we wasn’t professing his love he was up and about, playing with musical instruments, chess pieces, waving around flags of all sorts, and hugging all passers by. Nito made Kelly Sue and I’s night extremely entertaining. On that note I will say that a worry of mine was that Kelly and I would be pertered often as two pretty girls wandering the streets. However, I am happy to say that besides a few cat calls now and again, no one has really bothered us.

As I mentioned BA was a bit hectic, changing hostels every night, staying out till all hours bringing in the New Year, and maneuvering the busy streets. Even though I was happy to leave the city we still had a marvelous time. We had taken a long bus from Fall De Iguazu to get the in time for the New Years. After arriving in the city, finding a hostel, and connecting with a few of Kelly’s Peace Core friends we took in a stroll and prepared ourselves for what would be a long night. Her friends gave us an address to go to, which ended up being a pretty shwanky little Indian restaurant. Kelly and I looked at each other with a look of absurdity… was this how we were going to bring in the New Year? I thought there was supposed to be dancing, revelry, and excitement? That couldn’t possibly happen there… Oh boy were we wrong. Those guys knew how to throw a party and as midnight approached, there was champagne, funny hats, kazoos, music, and bubbles… lots of bubbles. OK OK so it sounds a little hoaky, but it was great! Everyone was so excited and the best part? My first song of 2009? The star wars theme song… I feel like it is the year of new conquests.. to boldly go where no man has gone before (shoot that is Star Trek but you know what I mean) Plus there was lots and lots of dancing… just us, the PC folks, and a huge Indian/ Argentinean family. I loved it. Then we made friends with the wonderful waitress and she took us back to her home, then there were drums in the street? And the poems of the street? It gets a bit fuzzy but it was grand I can tell you that much.

OK and what else? Have I lost you yet? I’d believe it… I have lost myself a few times during the past two weeks. It is crazy, but I am having fun, learning a lot, and having some unique experiences. I think that we have decided to give ourselves a bit more purpose and we are trying to find a farm. It would mean seeing a few less places, but perhaps we would be able to use our time in a way that would be more meaningful and true. We will see, we have already heard back from a farm in Argentenia that sounds pretty good. We will see and I will try to keep you updated.

That is all I got. Thanks for tuning in, I hope life is treating you with kindness and you in turn are finding kindness for the world around you.

Take care and as always keep on keepin’ on

Hannah Rae (and Kelly Sue)

1 comment:

  1. where did you say you were, so nonchalantly and without detail?

    1221 N Franklin St.
    Apt 3F
    Phila PA 19122

    ReplyDelete